Version 308 | July 1st, 2019
3.08 Installers: Windows | Mac
See the release notes here.
- Substance file format has been updated to the latest version.
- Value outputs are now supported in Substance files.
- Meshes that do not match naming conventions are now ignored in the Quick Loader.
- The ACES tone mapper is now supported in Viewer.
- A Ray Distance setting has been added for Bent Normals.
- Exposed searchDistance parameter with BakedNormalBakerMap and AOBakerMap.
- Position maps are now accessible via Python.
Misc Bug Fixes:
- Substance files should no longer crash on Mac
- Modifying meshes or materials should no longer crash on auto-reload.
- Skew and Offset maps are now retained on auto-reload.
- Bent Normal map direction baking is now more accurate.
- Meshes that do not match Quick Loader naming conventions no longer crash on auto-reload.
- Omni and Spot lights now produce more consistent blurred shadows with lighting map bakes.
- OBJ files from ZBrush no longer have incorrect emissive material properties.
- FBX materials no longer import with unnecessary emissive or alpha shaders.
- Alpha slider values now register when exporting glTF files.
- Texture Tiling values now export correctly with glTF files.
- Resolved a crash when undoing transform changes for certain animated files.
Version 307 | April 9th, 2019
See the release notes here.
- New hooks for periodic and “on focus” callbacks, making live updates much easier to author.
- Toolbag can now hide the main menu when launched from the command line (-hide option).
- Resolved a Python crash when using BakerObject.getTextureSetCount().
- Support for file type filters in file save and open dialogs.
- Python scripts now accept arguments in sys.argv when Toolbag is launched from the command line.
- PyBakerObject.getTextureSetCount and getAllMaps should now work correctly in all cases.
- Updated the Substance file format library to the latest version.
- The default material now uses a Metalness value of 0.
- Tangent Space setting in baker now shows up correctly on file load.
- Baker no longer exports extra files when Multi-Layer PSD is enabled.
- The Scene list state is now maintained when reloading meshes with the Quick Loader.
- Material assignments are now maintained when reloading meshes with the Quick Loader.
- Fixed a crash when importing meshes via Quick Loader with the Import Full Scene Hierarchy option enabled.
- The Specular value in Adv. Metalness now matches other shading models.
- Texture-less Metalness values are now handled correctly with glTF exporter.
- Resolved an issue with incorrect vertex colors due to multiple vertex color layers in FBX.
- Sky transforms are now handled correctly when parented to a Camera.
- Resolved a crash with invalid STL meshes.
- Text field controls now display long strings properly.
Version 306 | January 15th, 2019
- Ray Search Distance setting for Ambient Occlusion maps
- BMP files now support indexed color and grayscale formats
- Added Python bindings for Position Map, Height Map
- Added “texture” as an option mirror to “merge” when getting/setting subroutines in Python
- Auto-reloading while mesh file is being written no longer causes mesh references to be lost in the Quick Loader.
- Curvature maps now render correctly with 3DS Max Tangent Space
- Preview material now works correctly with Albedo (Metalness) output
- Baker no longer crashes when trying to bake empty meshes
- Ambient Occlusion artifacts resolved for certain meshes
- Material values are now handled better from OBJ and FBX files
- Fix Mirrored Tangents setting has been removed from animated meshes (this setting is not compatible with rigged meshes)
- SBSAR inputs are now handled better
- Fixed Local Reflections artifacts being rendered into the alpha channel of transparent images
- Solved an issue where the camera axis would flip at the poles
Version 305 | September 27th, 2018
See the release notes here.
- Improved cage offset algorithm, the cage should not collapse on itself with complex geometry such as picatinny rails.
- Custom cage support, works via UV matching, non-matching geometry is supported. Custom cages can be used with the _cage naming convention in the quick loader.
- 64x sampling option for better anti-aliasing.
- All map types are now multi-sampled, including material ID, material property outputs and wireframe.
- Wireframe line and vertex thickness options added.
- Vertex color alpha output is now supported.
- Lost quick loader file references create a prompt to replace the file. This should resolve auto-reload problems when transferring files between team members or when the original file has been moved.
- Bake groups are now sorted alphabetically.
- When a new Baker object is created, The Master Tangent Space now uses the Default Tangent Space defined in preferences.
- A new master Tangent Space setting (Per Mesh), has been added to the Baker which allows the user to define the tangent space for each mesh.
- Diffuse, Specular and Complete Lighting outputs are now rendered in sRGB.
- Normalization option added for Position map output.
- New microsurface shaders: Roughness, and Advanced Microsurface. The Metalness / Roughness workflow is enabled by default for new materials as well.
- Fix Mirror Tangents mesh and baker option. This splits vertices along mirror seams which should alleviate mirrored UV related baking artifacts with certain tangent spaces.
- Texture inputs are now retained when changing shading models. For instance, when swapping from Gloss to Roughness.
- Skew maps are correctly initialized now.
- When using Texture Sets and Multi-layered PSD export each set now saves a unique PSD.
- Low to low normal map baking artifacts have been resolved.
- PNG files no longer export alpha content.
- Bitmap file type removed from output list (BMP writing is not supported).
- File format/bit depth combinations now provide an error when unsupported type is selected (ie: 16 bit TGA).
- Normal maps are now correctly transformed when using low poly meshes as the high poly. This should resolve low -> low baking issues.
- Object IDs should retain colors when meshes are reloaded.
- Estimate Offset works again.
- Removing quick loader file references is more stable now. For instance, removing one of many should no longer remove others.
- Light baking issue with light too close to object is now resolved.
- Some minor python fixes and additions.
- MacOS Baker GPU Priority has been adjusted to help prevent crashes when baking AO and other process heavy maps. Go to Edit > Preferences > Baker GPU Priority and set it to Moderate or Responsive if you experience crashes.
- Camera limits now work with multiple cameras in Viewer.
- Texture filtering settings now correctly export to Viewer.
Version 304 | April 25th, 2018
See the release notes here.
- Animation support
- Stand-alone Viewer application
- Fog (shadowed!)
- Refraction shader
- Shadow catcher object
- Multiple camera support
- High DPI support
- High-res thumbnail option
- Reduced mview file sizes
- Reduced memory use
- Revised UI with configurable map selection and preset loading/saving
- Many new maps:
- Cavity/Convexity (these replace the R/G curvature option)
- Bent normals
- Diffuse/specular/complete lighting maps
- Object, Group and UV masks
- Alpha (from high poly mesh)
- Albedo (metalness)
- Transparency (from high poly material)
- Texture set support
- AO dithering for better quality bakes
- AO per-group Ignore Groups exclusion setting for moving parts
- High poly normal map detail now bakes to normals output
- Master tangent space setting
- Skew/offset map resolution setting
- Cage opacity setting
- More image file formats (PNG, TGA, etc) are now available from save dialog
- Misc bug fixes
- Cascading shadow maps for directional lights
- Improved shadow coverage and reduced shadow artifacts
- Ludicrous shadow resolution setting
Image Quality Improvements
- Shadowed fog
- DOF now has smoother transitions
- DOF resolution discrepancies significantly improved, viewport now matches captured images
- Bloom is smoother with higher size values
- Animated meshes are now stored in .tbscene file
- Animation performance is significantly improved in some cases
- Viewport performance boost button (temporarily turns off expensive effects)
- glTF exporting
- Camera near plane setting (helps with large scenes)
- Updated Substance support
- 16 bit PNG support
- 32 bit HDR render support
- Extended Python support
- STL model loader
- Faster material texture loading
- Many more small improvements and bug fixes!
Version 303 | August 31st, 2017
See the release notes here.
Legacy 3.03 Installers: Windows | Mac
- Mac OS Support!
- Python Scripting & Plugin support – API reference
- Improved refraction shader with two-sided refraction option
- Added “Uniform” sampling mode for AO bakes
- Updated substance support for newer file versions
- Improved normal map baking quality significantly for 3DS Max and Mikk tangent spaces
- Mesh reload now respects tangent spaces properly
- Various fixes to texture visibility UI in materials
- Fix for major baking artifacts / missing triangles with some meshes
- Modest bake speedup for AO, about 5%
- Decent improvement in baking preparation speed
- Better behavior with special characters in file paths in more cases
- Fixed texture naming issue in scene bundle exports
- Scene outliner now supports dragging objects to end-of-list
- Additive transparency fix for GI
- Materials without normal mapping now render with more accurate normals
- GI and local reflections now work better with perfectly flat geometry
- Improved color space for videos on Windows 10
- And many more smaller fixes
Version 302 | February 14th, 2017
See the release notes here.
Legacy 3.02 Installers: Windows | Mac
- Material Animation!
- Refraction Shader!
- Smart texture loading, drag textures onto palette to create new material, or onto existing material to load
- Baker “Smooth Filter” option for geometry smoothing
- EXR file output for screenshots and animation
- Show/hide toggle buttons for high/low baker objects
- New lights are now auto-placed in camera direction
- Color-over-time display for RGB keyframes
- Many baker fixes:
- Baker auto reloads now retain all settings
- Cage vertex offset directions are now better
- Texture tiling support for material bakes
- Cage offset is now consistent with display
- Improved smart-load suffix & name matching
- Baker viewport preview now works with wireframes
- Improved tablet support, if you’re having issues with your tablet try the Tablet-Friendly Input setting in Edit-> Preferences
- Various stability fixes
- Animation Property view display has been tweaked
- Animation fixes for object transforms
- Scenes with > 32 lights now display (more) correctly
- Improved Local Reflections to omit background image correctly
- Viewer preview option now more reliable
- Better support for writing more compatible layered PSD files
- Support for ArtStation pro file size limits
- Better scaled UI appearance
- Drag & drop now works with scaled UI
- Better functioning progress bar for long jobs
Version 301 | December 8th, 2016
Legacy 3.01 Installers: Windows | Mac
- Vertex color baking!
- Voxel Resolution settings for adjusting GI quality/speed
- Faster Global Illumination!
- Stability & speed improvements for baking large meshes!
- Faster mesh prep for baking
- Baker now uses less VRAM in some cases
- Fixed padding width for baker to be faster & more consistent
- Cavity maps now render correctly again
- Mesh rotation fixed for certain cases in FBX loader
- Video export now works with special characters in file paths
- Special characters are now better supported in mview export
- Vertex color shader now uses sRGB color by default
Version 300 | November 25th, 2016
Toolbag 3 initial launch, woohoo!
Legacy 3.00 Installers: Windows | Mac
- Animation support and keyframe editor
- Global illumination
- New skin shader
- Refreshed UI
- ArtStation export
- Unity Package export
- Unreal Engine import plugin
- Mesh export
- Scene bundle
- Custom shaders
- Command window and scripting
- Shadow caster object
- Camera backdrop object
- Turntable object
- Tiling texture options
- Improved local reflections
- Safe frame
- Scale reference
- Video export
- Viewer preview
- 100x and 400x sampling
- Resource locator (for lost textures and meshes)
- Material groups
- Material thumbnail size slider
- Example scenes (Help -> Example Scenes)
- New skies
- Performance improvements
- Many other tweaks and bug fixes
Version 208 | August 5th, 2015
Legacy 2.08 Installers: Windows | Mac
- Automatic mesh reloading
- Volumetric fog
- Camera constraint settings for Viewer export
- Lights and cameras now import from FBX files
- Selectable UV set for emissive shader
Viewer Feature Additions:
- Camera Constraints
- AO map support
- Lossless normal map option
- Texture wrapping and filtering options now export
- Additive blending background tint now supported
- Tooltip corrections
- FBX transform and pivot fixes
- Improved compatibility for loading of TIFF files
- Fix for duplicated camera/object conflict
- Film grain behaves better with 2x viewport resolution
- sRGB option now works for 16bpc images
- “Use Filtering” texture option now overrides anisotropic filtering
- Windows retain their positions during app minimization
- Fix for improper object naming when duplicated while renaming
Version 207 | May 29th, 2015
- Export to Marmoset Viewer!
- Material ID import! Apply multiple materials to a single mesh
- Unity tangent space support
- Filmic/Hejl tone mapping
- Contextual help in the form of tool tips
- Template scene feature for custom creation of new scenes
- Template material feature for custom creation of new materials
- Object locking via the outliner
- New “Material” menu with added options for organizing materials
- UI and compatibility improvements for Allegorithmic Substance files
- PLY mesh import
- Explicit texture input option for transparency/alpha maps
- Advanced metalness shader
- Greatly improved TIFF support for 16bpc, HDR, and more
- Texture toggle for quick hiding of texture inputs
- Channel selector for specular map & others
- Outliner selection can now be moved and expanded with arrow keys
- “Home” button in sky browser
- Outliner now expands to show viewport selections
- Sky browser now display directories as clickable icons
- App window dimensions now saved between sessions
- Button hover effect
- Customizable default path for sky browser
- Better performance on some laptops with multiple GPUs
- Added a mask control to Newton’s rings shader
- Faster texture loading
- Indexed color TGAs are now supported
- Returning from full screen now behaves better with window position & size
- FBX sub-objects are now positioned correctly in more cases
- Transform decay under parent rotation/scale now fixed
- Additional non-English characters can now be properly typed into text fields
- Materials now properly sorted by name at all times
- Fixed texture inspector crashes in obscure cases
- Corrupt or invalid TGA files no longer crash the loader
- Frame selection now performs properly on more objects
- Area lights no longer cause division by zero in some cases
- Light objects are now more clearly visible in otherwise empty scenes
- UI elements like cameras and lights no longer interact with DOF focus selection
- Improved wireframe display for some tessellated meshes
- Mesh highlight no longer flickers constantly during undo
- Long object names now clip properly in the outline view
- D3D-style alt+enter override should now be properly disabled; use ctrl+enter instead.
Version 206 Hotfix | October 30th, 2014
- Made skin shader compatible with 2.05 (and earlier) subdermis maps again
- Added “Skin Mask” to Subdermis Map alpha. Mask fades between “Lambert” and “Skin” diffusion models, should be a black or white value.
- “Skin Mask” affects shadow blur and normal smoothing properly
- Proper bounds now set for area light shadows
Version 206 | October 27th, 2014
- Area Lights
- Color Curves
- Lens Distortion & Chromatic Aberration
- Lens Flares
- Scale Tool!
- Glass Preset Material
- Random sky now chosen for new scenes
- Improved GGX quality & accuracy
- Large scene files (> 2 GB) are now supported
- Light & camera guides now only display for selected objects
- Improved behavior for framing selections with different FOV settings
- Shadows now cast properly from meshes without back face culling
- SSAO now takes aspect ratio into account properly
- Substance file paths now support spaces
- UI guide line width now behaves at all FOV settings
- Fixed redundant loading of data for faster boot
- Subdermis map/scatter value now mask normal smoothing and shadow blur in the skin shader
Version 205 | July 16th, 2014
- GGX reflection module!
- World/Local setting for transform widget
- Recent files menu
- Scene scale and unit settings
- Extinction coefficient for increased IOR science
- Cavity/Curvature map support for Substance materials
- 3D monitor stereo mode
- Greatly improved rendering for Mikk / xNormal tangent space! Finally!
- Mikk / xNormal tangent space generation is no longer painfully slow
- Improved rendering for tangent spaces loaded from FBX files
- Better checks for degenerate triangles & tangent space on import
- Major reduction in memory use for Undo states and general use, particularly with large meshes
- Local reflections now work properly with dynamic lights & sky brightness
- Parallax mapping now works properly with 3DS Max tangent space
- “Prompt for Unsaved Changes” now optional, and prompts more accurately
- Improved move behavior with transform widget
- Fixed transform widget distortion on certain meshes (requires mesh re-import)
- Improved TGA loading support, notably compressed grayscale
- Improved HDR loading support, notably older .hdr file revisions
- Fixed diffuse lighting when no reflection module present
- Changed mousewheel back to dolly forward/back instead of zoom in/out
- Object property drawers now remember open/close state
- Better Microsoft Windows version/app info
Version 204 | May 5th, 2014
- Sky browser with thumbnail previews
- New modes for sky backdrop rendering
- Camera are now fully transformable & selectable objects
- “WASD” camera controls
- Improved camera speed control
- Mesh selection highlight
- Improved local reflection quality; reduces smearing and other artifacts
- Vertex color support for albedo and ambient occlusion
- Zbrush Polypaint support through OBJ files
- Greatly improved PSD and HDR loading speed
- Shader build caching for faster application boot, scene load, and general editing
- Improved efficiency & responsiveness with custom cube maps
- Copy & paste for text entry
- Tab & shift+tab to cycle through text boxes
- Improved UI graphics for lights
- Interface appearance tweaks
- Retina display support for Mac
- Mesh & textures no longer disappear after open dialogs on Mac
- Scene rotation turntable export now has correct sky orientation
- Wacom tablet input now works properly
- Local reflections no longer cause transparency artifacts in exported screenshots
- Fixed minor light bleed effect in Blinn-Phong shading
- More robust metalness support for substance archives
- Now possible to replace substance outputs with custom textures
- Tangent space selection for meshes is no longer lost on scene load
- Spaces are now supported in the screenshot output folder path
- Trackpad input responsiveness improved on many machines, notably Mac
- Arrow keys now work on Mac
- Skybox preview image in light editor is no longer backwards
- Light icons now display properly when temporal anti-aliasing is enabled
- Meshes without vertices no longer crash during FBX load
Version 203 | February 20th, 2014
- Dota 2 Shaders!
- Gloss Map “Horizon Smoothing” setting
- Index of Refraction (IOR) reflectivity mode, w/ global “Ambient Refractive Index” render setting
- Drag and Drop image import for skybox content
- Texture preview channel selector
- “Authorize for all Users” option for licensing login in Windows
- Substance support does a better job of assigning outputs
- Substance support now includes size and seed parameters
- Resolved many visual glitches with tessellation
- Improved wireframe consistency, memory use, and appearance
- 3DS and DAE model files now import correctly
- Improved fullscreen support for Mac
- Skybox import crash for certain DDS files
- Sky rotation no longer “jumps” when turntables are enabled
- Sky child light brightness now behaves correctly in all cases
- Friendlier menu/submenu selection behavior
- Object group creation no longer hangs in certain situations
- Mesh rotation UI no longer reads zeros at inappropriate times
- Title bar filename display now remains when saving a new scene
- OBJ import fixes, resolving some crashes and missing geometry
- Very long and very short object names are handled better in the outline now
- Tangent space setting for meshes now has a ‘none selected’ behavior for model files that contained a custom tangent space
Version 202 | December 19th, 2013
- Object duplication (Ctrl+D)
- Viewport icons are now smaller and hideable (Ctrl+U)
- Shadow caster toggle for meshes
- Mesh info display
- Tangent-space option for vector displacement maps
- Improved material preview sphere
- Faster compressed TGA loading (about 4x)
- Additional post effect presets
- Window title now shows active file name
- Tutorials & links now under “Help” menu
- Credits window
- Vector displacement no longer distorts under rotation
- Resolved “black box” artifacts on some imported meshes
- OBJ loader fix for high precision values
- sRGB color space now used properly for LDR sky images
- No more crashing when parenting an object under itself
- Contact refinement no longer runs unless shadows are enabled
- New scenes now properly reset sky settings
- Improved licensing behavior with proxies in Windows
- Mac .tbscene file association now works better
- Space bar now works on Mac 😛
- Watermark tweaks
Version 201 | December 10th, 2013
- Two-sided rendering – disable ‘Cull Back Faces’ per mesh
- Driver reset / crash no longer occurs on older Nvidia cards
- Z-fighting glitches reduced
- Texture options window crash fixed
- Sky light editor crash fixed
- Licensing glitches
- Mac installer errors
Version 200 | December 5th, 2013
- Toolbag 2 Initial release