Version 4.043 Hotfix | May 24th, 2022
- Added backward compatibility for older material files with index of refraction values.
- Scenes saved in Toolbag 4.03 and older now use the default aperture value for the depth of field effect.
- Fixed a crash that could be triggered by editing the cage in a bake project.
- Fixed a crash that could happen when previewing the result of baked maps.
- Fixed a bug that caused a crash when bake groups did not contain a high poly mesh object.
- Fixed a bug that caused random polygons to bake incorrectly with certain combinations of mesh attributes in different bake groups.
- Fixed a bug that could cause a crash when dragging a scene in with missing resources.
- Fixed a bug with the resource locator that could cause referenced library assets to fail to be recognized as downloadable.
- Fixed a bug that caused a crash when loading Toolbag 3 scenes with shading models that are no longer supported.
- Fixed a bug that could cause a crash when loading, importing, and exporting smart materials.
- Fixed a bug that caused shading artifacts with meshes with bad UVs and sub-division in ray-tracing mode.
- Cleaned up the included example Python scripts for compatibility with latest Python API changes.
- Fixed a crash that may occur if a material shader fails to build when using a custom shader.
Version 4.04 | May 4th, 2022
Announcement: Toolbag 4.04 Available Now
DirectX 12 (Windows Only)
- The rendering backend has migrated from DX11 to DX12.
- Hardware ray-tracing acceleration is supported for AMD RX cards, increasing ray-tracing performance by about 400%.
- Nvidia RTX cards now use DXR rather than Nvidia Optix for ray-tracing, which reduces memory use and increases performance by about 25%.
- High memory use scenes are handled better in some cases.
Depth of Field
- Added a physically-accurate ray-traced depth of field effect.
- The DOF controls have been reworked to mimic real-world cameras with an aperture dial controlling the level of blur.
- A focus tool has been added, which allows the user to click in the viewport to set the focus point. Ctrl+click will set the aperture value or amount of blur.
- A button to click and set the focus point has been added next to the focus distance slider.
- The bokeh shapes have been updated with higher resolution images and a few new types.
- The post effect DOF mode has been updated to approximate the physically-accurate ray-tracing mode.
- The post effect DOF technique viewport preview now matches final renders for images up to 2048×2048. Larger renders use a different technique which may create artifacts near the silhouette of meshes.
- The CPU DOF effect has been removed, resulting in faster renders when DOF is enabled.
- Motion blur can now be rendered for image and video renders. Note: the effect can not be previewed in the viewport.
- A GUI element has been added to set the shutter speed in the camera object. The shutter speed controls the amount of blur.
- New physically-based lens flare effect mimics flares from real camera lenses.
- Lens flares are now generated from direct lights rather than bright pixels on the screen.
- Lens flare visibility and intensity can be toggled per light, while overall settings are controlled at the camera level.
- The grain effect now randomizes in each frame. There is a preview option to turn on or off the random variance in the viewport. When playing back animations the grain always randomizes.
- There are now two grain styles: film and digital as well as three scales: fine, medium, and coarse.
- Added a dirt effect which places random scratches and stains on the render.
- Added an Indirect Shadow option that captures bounced lighting and reflections when ray-tracing is enabled.
- Material properties can be configured for indirect shadows.
- Custom meshes can now be used for shadow catching, parent a mesh to a shadow catcher object to enable.
- Fade radius and falloff controls have been added.
- Advanced Light Sampling is now available in the render object. This feature reduces noise in complex scenes that have many direct lights, especially when using lower sample counts.
- Pixel filtering has been improved, resulting in better anti-aliasing.
- Dithering has been added to reduce banding in 8-bit images.
- Light gel textures are now supported in ray-tracing mode.
- The GPU no longer waits for the CPU to be ready to render the next frame, which results in faster render times for videos.
- Ray-tracing accumulation no longer resets when adjusting post effects. Holding the mouse for a second before releasing it when performing various actions no longer causes a reset in many cases as well.
- Added an option in Edit -> Preferences to disable V-sync ray-tracing accumulation, which can speed up viewport render times when working with simple scenes. This setting can cause tearing with certain monitor configurations so it is disabled by default.
- The mask cache is now cleared when selecting a different texture project, freeing significant memory in scenes with multiple projects.
- Certain blend modes (add, color burn, color dodge, linear burn, overlay, screen) have are now gamma corrected when used with sRGB maps like albedo.
- Tri-planar project mode is now selected by default for fill layers and tools that reference materials.
- When changing a project map from RGB to grayscale, the color picker mode now updates accordingly.
- The clouds layer type now tiles seamlessly in UV mode.
- All processor layer types now have a button to reset the default settings.
- Deleting unused materials will no longer remove materials that are referenced in texture projects.
- Mip-mapping is now forced on for brush textures, resulting in significantly reduced aliasing.
- A default brush has been added to the library to make it easier to reset the brush tool to its original settings.
- Textures now output at the correct resolution regardless of the viewport resolution configured in the texture project.
- Fixed a crash that could trigger randomly when importing and export smart materials.
- Fixed a bug that would reload deleted textures in certain layer types when resetting the settings to default.
- Fixed a bug that would cause rendering artifacts when using tri-planar projection on Mac.
- Fixed a bug that caused gradient layers to clamp rather than tile.
- Fixed a bug where the tiles layer type would render corrupt data along the bottom edge in UV mode.
- Fixed a bug with the contrast setting in the fill layer that would apply contrast and brightness adjustments to textures in the wrong order, causing clipping.
- Fixed a bug where layers that ended up with an identical ID could cause problems with the undo system.
- Fixed a bug that caused the thumbnail to render incorrectly when rasterizing groups.
- Fixed a bug with the brush tool that could draw incorrect colors when using right-handed tangent orientation.
- Fixed a bug with the brush tool when using the fit to brush project mode where normal maps were not being properly transformed while painting on meshes with mirrored UVs.
- Fixed a bug with mirrored UVs that prevented the brush from painting on certain areas of a mesh.
- Fixed a bug where the visibility for scratch texture in the scratch layer type wasn’t being saved.
- It’s now possible to add multiple instances of the library window. Each window will remember its position and any filtering options.
- Added the ability to select multiple assets from the library window and drag them into the scene. This is only applicable to certain asset types like materials and skies where it is possible to load more than one at a time.
- Searching and filtering of assets are now possible from the root folder.
- Added the ability to right-click assets and perform various functions.
- Added a properties window that allows the user to edit the name, category, and tags for custom assets.
- The download GUI has been updated with a progress bar and we’ve added a display to the status bar to show how many remaining downloads are left.
- Added a slider to set the size of the thumbnails. The smaller version draws a list display.
- Assets that have been updated on the server now show a special state and can be double-clicked to download the latest version.
- There is a new filtering option to sort by assets with available updates as well as an option to filter by assets currently referenced in the scene.
- Added an option to automatically update to the latest version of any previously downloaded asset. This can be enabled in Edit -> Preferences -> Library.
- The icons for downloadable and updatable assets are larger and more clear.
- The asset display has been updated with mouseover states and styling more consistent with the application.
- When hovering over an asset, the full name is displayed.
- Long asset names are now truncated more intelligently.
- It’s now possible to select multiple assets and apply a color code to all in the selection.
- The search suggestions and color-coding popup boxes should no longer spill off the monitor when close to the edge.
- The asset list is now cached locally, enabling access to downloaded assets when offline.
- Fixed a bug that prevented an asset from being downloaded if it had the same name as the category.
- Fixed a bug with materials from the library that had transparency and would cause corrupt data to be drawn into the transparent areas when referencing the materials.
- Scenes are automatically saved at a customizable interval. The settings can be configured in Edit -> Preferences.
- Autosaves can be saved in the same location as the current scene. This is off by default; autosaves are otherwise saved into a central, user-defined folder.
- The maximum number of saves per scene can be defined. When the maximum is exceeded, older files will be deleted.
- The maximum size of the autosave directory can be specified as well. This does not apply when saving relative to the current scene.
- Replacing one of many meshes in the quick loader list should no longer cause a crash.
- Fixed a bug where confirming the color value in the picker for the offset or skew tools could cause a crash.
- Fixed a bug where changing the tangent space would nullify mesh displacement.
- Pixel padding is now rendered correctly for the alpha channel of vertex color bakes.
Scene & Mesh
- Added the ability to set the TDR timeout setting for the GPU graphics in the preferences window. This is now set to 20 seconds on install and should significantly improve stability in complex scenes. Changing this value requires restarting the computer.
- High-polygon meshes now use a simplified tangent space, significantly decreasing file load time for dense meshes.
- Added a setting to the Preferences window to Browse for Missing Meshes. This is off by default so the Resource Locator will no longer prompt for missing meshes unless this setting is enabled.
- Displacement mapping now refreshes automatically when meshes are reloaded.
- Reduced memory use for sub-divided meshes.
- Toolbag now prompts to save the scene when the computer is shutting down or restarting.
- Various interactions with camera settings now register to the main undo track rather than the camera track. The camera undo track now primarily contains camera movements.
- Fixed a bug where scaling a parent object could cause the scale tool to show unpredictable behavior when scaling a child object.
- Fixed a bug where loading a texture didn’t create an undo state right away, which could cause corruption in the undo track.
- Fixed a bug that would allow sub-meshes to be removed from their parent meshes, causing a crash when the user attempted to interact with them.
- Textures that are loaded into multiple slots now display the correct color space setting.
- Fixed a bug that caused multiple skies to use the same background color value.
UI & Workspace
- The login window has been updated to improve the account access user experience.
- The window size and location are now stored when closing the application with the window maximized.
- The default window size has been enlarged and should now account for various scaling settings.
- Various folder locations are now stored independently. For instance, when choosing where to save a render or load a texture the file dialog window will now remember the respective locations.
- The window position should now be remembered on multi-monitor configurations.
- The previously selected camera should now be remembered more reliably.
- Interaction with the viewport buttons now updates the active viewport focus.
- Clicking the initial state in the history window no longer causes the state to reload.
- Dropdown menus now automatically close when scrolling windows.
- Users can now click and drag on Mac without first clicking in the window to set focus.
- Windows can now be seamlessly popped out of a docked position and repositioned on Mac.
- Fixed a bug that could cause black bars to show up when resizing and rearranging windows.
- All spinner GUI elements should spin in the correct direction (ie: count up and down) when dragging up and down on the control.
- Fixed a bug that would send users to the Marmoset website during patch updates if the user canceled the installation.
- Fixed a bug where tooltips popping up could cause input to be lost, ie: a slider drag wouldn’t register.
- Fixed a bug where selecting the render object or a camera could cause an undo state to be created.
- Fixed a bug that causes the GUI to draw incorrectly on Mac when dragging a window to a secondary monitor.
- Window width and height can now be set properly.
- Fixed an issue with window layout auto resizing.
- Library assets can now include their category, the example Python script has been updated to show this.
- Changing subdivision type on multiple meshes at once no longer crashes.
- Fixes to UI example plugin for secondary windows.
- Added calls to get the first party and user library paths with getLibraryPath() and getUserLibraryPath().
- Updated Python interface to read “sharpness” instead of “smoothing” for certain layer types in the texture project system.
- Python access to the library paths has been improved.
Version 4.036 Hotfix | December 6th, 2021
- Fix for blank resource prompt on macOS
- Fix for STL loader generating incorrect tangents with Mikk setting
Python Fixes and Improvements:
- rayTraceDenoiseStrength was incorrectly set to type str in the documentation, it’s now set to float
- mset.CameraObject.postEffect.toneMappingMode now includes ACES, our documentation has been updated to reflect this
- Callbacks in mset.callbacks now report errors that occur inside of them
- SceneObjects can now be compared, so they’re easier to sort, check for equality, etc
- Added subroutine name to mset.MaterialSubroutine
- Fixed get/setStoreItem not fetching store items
- Fixed mset.UIDrawer where the drawer could disappear when closed
- mset.SceneObject has a new member variable – uid, a unique ID for that scene object
- mset.Image now includes sRGBToLinear and linearTosRGB conversion functions
- Fixed python skyboxes not updating their background brightness
- mset.setSelectedObjects is now available, making it easier to select objects in the scene like texture projects
Version 4.034 Hotfix | August 10th, 2021
- Fixed a crash that would occur when copying and pasting a paint layer in a mask stack.
- The Strict Normals option in the Subsurface Scattering and Subsurface Volumetric shading models has been resurrected, resolving shading errors in certain scenes.
- Fixed a crash when grouping layers if Viewport Quality was set to Fast in a texture project.
- Fixed a crash that could happen when duplicating a mesh whose material used displacement.
- Fixed a crash that could happen when applying a material that used displacement.
- Fixed a crash that occurred when using different blend modes in a procedural mask layer in a specific scene.
- Fixed a crash that was caused by a corrupted/truncated scene file. Truncated or partially saved scenes can now be loaded in some instances, but data loss can be expected in these cases.
- Fixed a crash that could happen when hitting cancel before a missing file finished downloading in the Resource Locator.
- Fixed a crash that could happen on Mac when there was a missing material resource.
- Fixed an undo error that could happen with scenes that contain two or more texture projects.
- Grouping a layer that is inside a group with a mask will no longer send the layer to the mask stack.
- Clicking and dragging in the Color Picker window updates the values in real-time for lights and other miscellaneous colors again.
- Clicking and dragging in the Sky Light editor updates the values for lights in real-time again.
- The Polygon selection tool now works better when making thin, triangular selections.
- The default camera is now assigned to the render camera if the previous renderable camera is deleted, ensuring there is always a renderable camera.
- It should no longer be possible to click the [X] button to close the application while resizing the window.
- Layer thumbnails now update more reliably in texture projects.
- Fixed an issue that could cause mesh transforms to be altered on undo.
- Improved performance during animated playback in a specific scene that caused warnings in the animation importer.
- Older scenes with animation data will be updated on load.
- Modal window dropdowns should now work on Mac.
- Fixed a problem on Mac where dragging and dropping materials wasn’t creating an undo state.
- Documentation fixes for mset.BakerObject, mset.TextureProjectLayer, mset.BakerObject.
- Fixes for mset.CameraObject field of view, lens, and postEffect settings.
- Added support for mset.SkyBoxObject child brightness, control over the background color, and mode of the skybox.
- Fixed mset.BakerObject bindings for Ambient Occlusion (2). Added support for binding BakerObjects to TextureProjectObjects.
- Various bug fixes for mset.TextureProjectObject outputs, layers, and corrected examples.
- Fixed RenderObject denoise fade and occlusion size settings.
Version 4.03 | July 2nd, 2021
- Real-time denoising is now available for Nvidia RTX GPUs.
- Denoising now features additional configurable options to define whether to use the CPU or GPU, and set the quality of the denoising.
- Real-time GPU denoising has been enabled for animation playback as well.
- New high-quality Denoising mode that uses pre-filtering and a special mode for glossy refractive materials and mirror-like surfaces. Note: the high-quality mode is only available with CPU denoising.
- The Refractive Index (or how intense the distortion is) can now be controlled independently from Reflectivity. Disable Derive Refractive Index from Reflectivity to control this value directly.
- The Shadow Catcher object now softly fades when used with Fog objects and the Depth of Field effect.
- Fog has been updated to better account for light attenuation and now accounts for changes in scene scale.
- The default Fog settings have been updated to create a more natural result.
- The Shadow Catcher object now renders as expected in the Alpha Mask Render Pass and when Transparency is enabled for final renders in raster mode.
- Normal mapped low poly meshes used with Subsurface Scattering no longer causes an increase in the normal map intensity.
- Black edge artifacts due to extreme normal map values have been improved.
- Highlight values are now correct when using 16-bit file formats for final renders.
- GGX reflections with higher roughness values now look better.
- Absorption and Scatter in Subsurface Scattering now works more consistently with different scene scales.
- Adjusting texture tiling when used with transparency now updates the shadowed result when using ray tracing.
- Bokeh shapes work in final renders again.
- The depth of field effect now blurs the wireframe.
- Reduced instances where render accumulation resets unnecessarily, such as when scrolling in a window.
- Accumulation now resets more reliably when it should.
- The watermark renders in videos again.
- Text boxes for raster settings can no longer be adjusted when these controls are disabled/grayed out.
- Anisotropic reflections no longer get overly bright at acute angles.
- Meshes without vertex color data will no longer render with rainbow colors when Vertex Color is enabled.
- Displacement should no longer reset on undo.
- Fixed a crash on Mac when rendering images with large sample counts or videos with many frames.
- Fixed a rendering issue on Mac when using transparent materials.
- Fixed an issue that caused black reflections on certain parts of an animated mesh.
- Fixed a crash when rendering with uncommon image resolutions.
- We’ve added new selection tools which are available when working with Paint Layers: Lasso, Polygon, Face, UV Island, and Object.
- Added a Brush Warp parameter to create random distortion.
- Added a Tip Contrast setting to adjust the contrast of the Brush texture.
- When the Brush Material is set to Fit to Brush, we’ve added a checkbox to enable Sprite Sheet Material. This causes the material textures to use random variations to match the Brush Tip Texture.
- Scattering has been improved and should no longer scatter onto the wrong areas when using large brushes.
- All brush settings are now pre-cached, reducing delays when initially adjusting various brush parameters.
- Fixed an issue that would cause pixelation in the brush stroke when Hardness was set to 1.
- The Fill and Gradient Tools now use a randomized dither seed, preventing build-up of dithering artifacts.
- The Brush preview no longer draws behind the mesh when using the Sticker Projection mode.
- The Gradient Tool no longer shows GUI for all possible Project Maps.
- The Gradient Tool’s Knurl and Diamond mode now tile correctly when used in Canvas.
- We fixed a bug that caused image quality degradation to unselected areas with the Gradient Tool.
- We fixed a bug that caused corrupt data to temporarily draw into the emissive map in texture projects.
Layers and Groups
- Layers and Groups can be dragged onto a mesh in the viewport to assign a Color Selection based on the Material ID.
- Layers, Masks, and Groups can now be merged to Paint Layers.
- All layer types can now be rasterized to Paint Layers.
- Layers can now be converted to different types. For instance, a Fill Layer can be converted to a Clouds Procedural while retaining any child or Layers or Masks.
- Groups have been reworked to draw the contents below the Group. You can now see the Group’s contents and its Mask Stack simultaneously. The folder icon expands and collapses the contents, while the arrow expands and collapses the Mask Stack.
- Layers and Groups can now be colored to make them easier to organize.
- The selected Layer is now added to a Group upon creation.
- You can now copy and paste Groups, Layers, Layer Settings, and the contents of a Layer’s Mask Stack. You can also copy the contents of a Layer and paste them into an external image editing program.
- Material properties for Fill Layers and the Paint and Fill tools can be copied and pasted as well.
- Brush settings can be copied and pasted too.
- Dirt and Scratch layer types render correctly again. 4.01 introduced a bug that caused the compositing to be incorrect. Texture Projects created in 4.01 and 4.02 may look slightly different now if using these types.
- Curvature processing has been improved, dithering between 127/128 values is now ignored which reduces noise when using the Curvature, Direct, and Scratch Processors.
- Cellular now tiles correctly when the scale is set to 5.
- Clouds and Perlin intensities are better normalized now.
- Normal editing for the Curves and Levels layer types has been disabled, and a Contrast setting has been added to Hue / Saturation.
- A highlight is now shown when dragging a Layer from Masks to the color component slot.
- Dragging a Smart Material to the top of the Layer stack should now place it in the correct position.
- Texture project input maps now automatically reload when changed on disk.
- Right-clicking in the Layers window to add Layers should no longer cause the menu to go off-screen when the cursor is near the screen border.
- Fixed a bug that caused Planar Projection to render with Tri-Planar.
- Paint Layers now always match the resolution set in the Texture Project.
- Fixed a freeze that could happen when duplicating fill layers with full pixel contents.
- Fixed a bug that caused normal maps to be composited incorrectly for Layers in Groups.
- Histogram color values are now correct when loading .mpic format textures.
- Inverting the result of Gradient Layers now produces the correct result.
- Fixed a bug where Groups could prevent Layers from drawing to certain map types.
- Dragging a Material from the Library to a Fill Layer now serializes correctly (solves undo and file save bugs)
- The Gradient Map layer type now produces perceptively correct sRGB values.
- We’ve added a tool for lights to click on a mesh and have the light direction update to match the clicked point. This tool has a few modes, it can align the specular highlight to the sample point, or the light direction, or simply aim the light at the point. We’ve added hotkeys to alter common light attributes when using this tool as well, Ctrl+LMB = Brightness, Ctrl+RMG = distance to object, and Ctrl+MMB = adjusts the spot cone.
- We’ve added new selection tools for scene objects as well: Rectangle, Circle, Lasso and Polygon.
- Copy and Paste color values from color boxes. You can paste the color value as hex as well.
- Copy and Paste Objects and Object settings in the Scene window.
- Copy and Paste Material settings from one Material to another. Sub-routine settings can be copied and pasted as well.
- We’ve added a right-click menu to Cut, Copy, and Paste from text boxes.
- You can now copy a texture from one slot to another in the Material Editor and any other area where there is a texture slot. The texture can be pasted into an external image editor as well.
- Save As now remembers the directory your scene is saved in.
- Import Materials With Models is now disabled. This means that Toolbag will no longer import the material values set in your 3D application. This can be enabled in Edit > Preferences.
Meshes & Animation
- Pivots can now be edited and centered for meshes and groups. To edit pivots, use the Translate or Transform tools and enable Edit Pivot, or press the D key when using those tools.
- File reference objects now retain transformations for their child objects when a file reload occurs.
- Animations now play when the timeline window is not visible in a workspace.
- Custom animation sets are now retained after reloading the mesh file.
- We added a Loop setting to the Model Animation settings. This can be used to prevent the model from snapping to the incorrect position with animations that are not intended to loop.
- Fixed a crash related to manually reloading meshes.
- Materials with animated Displacement values now update the displaced result on playback.
- Changing the Subdivision Geometry Reduction setting now forces the ray tracer to update the mesh data.
- Fixed an issue that was causing geometry artifacts when PNTriangles Subdivision was used with an animated Alembic mesh.
- Fixed an issue that was causing meshes with blendshape data to load inefficiently.
- Joints with non-uniform scaling are now supported.
- There is now an option to use Per-Pixel or Per-Vertex Mikktspace tangents.
- Improved the quality of Mikktspace normal maps.
- Improved the quality of ambient occlusion/reduced halo artifact near intersecting objects.
- Ignore Groups works in conjunction with Use Multiple Texture Sets again.
- Fix a bug that caused sections of high poly meshes to be ignored for Material ID bakes when the Multi-Layer PSD option was enabled.
- Maps that have not been baked yet should no longer display a can’t be found error.
- Fixed an error that caused the wrong Tangent Space to be used.
- Roughness and gloss textures now bake correctly from high poly materials.
- Fixed a bug that would cause recursive baking errors if the low poly’s material was using displacement.
- The Skew and Offset windows no longer draw a bad state after undo.
- We fixed an issue where degenerate geometry could cause the application to freeze when baking UV island maps.
- We fixed a bug where adding displacement to the low poly’s material could cause recursive baking errors. Now the pre-displaced mesh is always used for baking.
Tangent Space Handling
- Tangent Orientation, or the direction of the green channel or Y axis, is now set independently of Tangent Space.
- Tangent Orientation settings are now available in Bake Projects, Texture Projects, and there is a default setting in Preferences.
- Tangent Orientation can be set per texture for Brush Tool, Fill Tool, and Fill Layer Material Properties. When using Reference Materials, it is automatically set.
- Mikk is now the default Tangent Space (this can be changed in Preferences).
- Assets are now sorted case-insensitively.
- Custom Textures, Skies, Brushes, Materials, Smart Materials, and Smart Masks can be saved to the Library by dragging the files from the operating system to the Library window. This works with multiple files at once.
- Custom Skies can now be saved to the Library via the Library button in the Sky object.
- Custom Scenes can be saved to the Library as well from the File > Export menu.
- We fixed a few cases where searching and tagging assets with colors in the Library could cause crashes.
- We’ve improved our auto-complete bindings with the addition of type hints across the entire API, taking the guesswork out of writing scripts for Toolbag. Try installing our type package with
pip install mset.
- We’ve exposed more control in the form of our Texture Project python bindings. Every Texture Project Layer has bindings that you can manipulate and control.
- You can now add your own assets to your local library with Python.
- Every setting in your Render object is now accessible.
- You can now control mesh subdivisions and disable/enable hiding meshes from the ray tracer.
- Transforms now have more fine grained control with the addition of matrix manipulation and control over pivots.
- Miscellaneous user interface bug fixes and quality of life improvements, in particular window registration is no longer required.
- Cameras in 4.03 have been simplified to make them much easier to manipulate.
- Toolbag now runs Python 3.9.4 on both Windows and MacOS.
- Environment variables are now accessible to all Python plugins.
- Data can now be easily shared between plugins with Toolbag, with the addition of
mset.getStoreItem(key: str) -> Anyand
mset.setStoreItem(key: str, val: Any). This means multiple plugins that need to share things like handles can now do so much easier.
- Light Brightness now exports correctly.
- Fog has been updated to match the updated style in Toolbag.
- The Distortion Limit setting in the Refraction shader now exports correctly.
- The Refraction Mask now exports correctly.
- Roughness values are now more consistent between Toolbag and Viewer.
- The Subsurface Scatter effect is now more consistent between Toolbag and Viewer.
- Fixed a bug where using Subsurface Scattering along with Microfiber would cause an invisible mesh. These shading models are not supported simultaneously in Viewer. Microfiber will be automatically disabled in this case.
- Fixed a bug where a camera pointing straight at the scene could cause the Sky background to render incorrectly.
- The title bar now displays Untitled when creating a new scene.
- Alt + MMB to pan now consistently updates the active Viewport state.
- Framing selected now works better with split viewports.
- Various undo bugs have been fixed.
- Fixed a crash that could happen if a default monitor was not set.
- Fixed a crash that was caused by the Project Resolution being set to an invalid number in a Texture Project.
- The GUI will no longer draw off-screen when pressing Ctrl+Enter to engage fullscreen mode.
- We fixed an issue where web links from within the application would cause an error if Firefox is your default browser.
- We solved a bug that could cause windows to draw black if collapsed, hidden, and shown in a certain order.
- The Generate Primitives script no longer crashes when exiting with the [X] button or switching workspaces.
- Windows 7 is no longer supported.
- The Horizon Occlusion setting in the Reflectivity panel is no longer supported.
- The Swirl Vignette feature in the Depth of Field effect is no longer supported.
- UV and Tri-Planar Projection are no longer supported for the Turbulence Layer.
Version 4.02 | January 11th, 2021
- Tooltips system should no longer crash on mix-resolution display setups.
- Tooltip display option in preferences works again.
- Window elements should no longer go out of bounds on widescreen monitors.
- The window should no longer flicker after changing monitor DPI scaling.
- Text is no longer blurry at 125% and 175% scales.
Version 4.01 | December 21st, 2020
Toolbag 4.01 includes numerous bug fixes and smaller improvements and should resolve most of the serious pending issues.
- Canceling a render should no longer crash.
- Clicking on the main window during a render should no longer show the unresponsive application error.
- Overwrite existing now works as it should with MP4/AVI video renders.
- The watermark works again for renders. We’ve added a scale slider too.
- The lens flare effect works again for renders as well.
- When overwrite existing is off, the iteration numbers are now appended at the end of the file name.
- It’s no longer possible to have only one active render camera or render pass.
- We fixed a bug that caused refractive materials to be too bright -on certain AMD video cards.
- The microfiber shading model should no longer create hot pixels when using raster rendering and high sample counts.
- Unlit surfaces now render correctly when using ray tracing and DOF.
- Adjusting the PNTriangles level slider now correctly updates the displaced result.
- Painting performance has been improved.
- We’ve added custom input and project map types.
- You can now drag a texture to the brush preview area to load it.
- Dragging a smart mask between layers rather than onto them now creates an empty group with a mask. This will no longer cause a bad state in the layer stack as well.
- Shift+Ctrl+RMB will now rotate the brush.
- The gradient tool now works as expected and should not cause crashes when using or changing tools.
- The color selection layer will no longer crash when more than 4 entries are added.
- The flood tool now more reliably with contiguous meshes over different UV islands.
- AO input maps are now composited correctly.
- Using the brush tool after the gradient no longer creates bad strokes.
- Clicking with the left or right buttons on a stylus during a stroke should no longer corrupt stroke data, and right-click should no longer open the context menu.
- Loading a brush preset with no brush texture set will now clear the texture if one exists.
- We’ve fixed some bugs related to different projection and size space settings in the brush.
- The sharpness setting in the dirt & scratch layer types no longer causes artifacts.
- We fixed a crash that could happen if you were not connected to the internet/could not connect to the library server.
- All sub-categories are now collapsed in the tree view by default.
- We’ve added tooltips for all library window UI elements.
- Downloading an asset before its thumbnail has loaded now works.
- It’s no longer possible to set both the downloaded and user directory to the same folder.
- We’ve improved the login window and account creation process.
- You can now close the window with the X button at the login screen.
- We resolved an issue with workspaces that could result in a window blocking the login screen.
- Window scaling now updates when windows are dragged between monitors with different resolutions and DPI scaling settings.
- Tooltips should reposition themselves rather than go off-screen or below the taskbar now.
- Vertical collapse no longer puts the scene and material editor windows in bad states.
- Toolbag now registers the alt key on the first click when coming to Toolbag from another application.
- Group ID map bakes work as expected again
- Responsiveness and stability should be better when baking very high poly meshes with baker priority set to responsive.
- It should no longer be possible to create bad keyframe data and old scenes with bad data should be repaired when loaded.
- Sky objects that share the same sky preset will no longer have their rotation improperly linked when one of the two has keyframed data.
Version 4.00 | November 23rd, 2020
Toolbag 4’s initial release.
- a new ray tracing rendering engine – path traced global illumination for modern GPUs
- RTX-accelerated ray tracing renderer and baker via NVIDIA OptiX integration
- Texture Projects – real-time 3D material authoring and texture painting tools
- Customizable user interface – drag-and-drop windows, dual monitor support
- Workspaces – UI preset layouts
- Toolbag Asset Library – free base materials, sky presets, brushes, smart materials, smart masks, and more…
- Bake Project to Texture Project livelinking – auto-populate and update texture project inputs in real-time
- New raster rendering controls for SSAO, local specular reflections, and diffuse light scattering
- New advanced shaders for refraction, subsurface scattering, microfiber, and clearcoat reflection
Version 308 | July 1st, 2019
- Substance file format has been updated to the latest version.
- Value outputs are now supported in Substance files.
- Meshes that do not match naming conventions are now ignored in the Quick Loader.
- The ACES tone mapper is now supported in Viewer.
- A Ray Distance setting has been added for Bent Normals.
- Exposed searchDistance parameter with BakedNormalBakerMap and AOBakerMap.
- Position maps are now accessible via Python.
Misc Bug Fixes:
- Substance files should no longer crash on Mac
- Modifying meshes or materials should no longer crash on auto-reload.
- Skew and Offset maps are now retained on auto-reload.
- Bent Normal map direction baking is now more accurate.
- Meshes that do not match Quick Loader naming conventions no longer crash on auto-reload.
- Omni and Spot lights now produce more consistent blurred shadows with lighting map bakes.
- OBJ files from ZBrush no longer have incorrect emissive material properties.
- FBX materials no longer import with unnecessary emissive or alpha shaders.
- Alpha slider values now register when exporting glTF files.
- Texture Tiling values now export correctly with glTF files.
- Resolved a crash when undoing transform changes for certain animated files.
Version 307 | April 9th, 2019
See the release notes here.
- New hooks for periodic and “on focus” callbacks, making live updates much easier to author.
- Toolbag can now hide the main menu when launched from the command line (-hide option).
- Resolved a Python crash when using BakerObject.getTextureSetCount().
- Support for file type filters in file save and open dialogs.
- Python scripts now accept arguments in sys.argv when Toolbag is launched from the command line.
- PyBakerObject.getTextureSetCount and getAllMaps should now work correctly in all cases.
- Updated the Substance file format library to the latest version.
- The default material now uses a Metalness value of 0.
- Tangent Space setting in baker now shows up correctly on file load.
- Baker no longer exports extra files when Multi-Layer PSD is enabled.
- The Scene list state is now maintained when reloading meshes with the Quick Loader.
- Material assignments are now maintained when reloading meshes with the Quick Loader.
- Fixed a crash when importing meshes via Quick Loader with the Import Full Scene Hierarchy option enabled.
- The Specular value in Adv. Metalness now matches other shading models.
- Texture-less Metalness values are now handled correctly with glTF exporter.
- Resolved an issue with incorrect vertex colors due to multiple vertex color layers in FBX.
- Sky transforms are now handled correctly when parented to a Camera.
- Resolved a crash with invalid STL meshes.
- Text field controls now display long strings properly.
Version 306 | January 15th, 2019
- Ray Search Distance setting for Ambient Occlusion maps
- BMP files now support indexed color and grayscale formats
- Added Python bindings for Position Map, Height Map
- Added “texture” as an option mirror to “merge” when getting/setting subroutines in Python
- Auto-reloading while mesh file is being written no longer causes mesh references to be lost in the Quick Loader.
- Curvature maps now render correctly with 3DS Max Tangent Space
- Preview material now works correctly with Albedo (Metalness) output
- Baker no longer crashes when trying to bake empty meshes
- Ambient Occlusion artifacts resolved for certain meshes
- Material values are now handled better from OBJ and FBX files
- Fix Mirrored Tangents setting has been removed from animated meshes (this setting is not compatible with rigged meshes)
- SBSAR inputs are now handled better
- Fixed Local Reflections artifacts being rendered into the alpha channel of transparent images
- Solved an issue where the camera axis would flip at the poles
Version 305 | September 27th, 2018
See the release notes here.
- Improved cage offset algorithm, the cage should not collapse on itself with complex geometry such as picatinny rails.
- Custom cage support, works via UV matching, non-matching geometry is supported. Custom cages can be used with the _cage naming convention in the quick loader.
- 64x sampling option for better anti-aliasing.
- All map types are now multi-sampled, including material ID, material property outputs and wireframe.
- Wireframe line and vertex thickness options added.
- Vertex color alpha output is now supported.
- Lost quick loader file references create a prompt to replace the file. This should resolve auto-reload problems when transferring files between team members or when the original file has been moved.
- Bake groups are now sorted alphabetically.
- When a new Baker object is created, The Master Tangent Space now uses the Default Tangent Space defined in preferences.
- A new master Tangent Space setting (Per Mesh), has been added to the Baker which allows the user to define the tangent space for each mesh.
- Diffuse, Specular and Complete Lighting outputs are now rendered in sRGB.
- Normalization option added for Position map output.
- New microsurface shaders: Roughness, and Advanced Microsurface. The Metalness / Roughness workflow is enabled by default for new materials as well.
- Fix Mirror Tangents mesh and baker option. This splits vertices along mirror seams which should alleviate mirrored UV related baking artifacts with certain tangent spaces.
- Texture inputs are now retained when changing shading models. For instance, when swapping from Gloss to Roughness.
- Skew maps are correctly initialized now.
- When using Texture Sets and Multi-layered PSD export each set now saves a unique PSD.
- Low to low normal map baking artifacts have been resolved.
- PNG files no longer export alpha content.
- Bitmap file type removed from output list (BMP writing is not supported).
- File format/bit depth combinations now provide an error when unsupported type is selected (ie: 16 bit TGA).
- Normal maps are now correctly transformed when using low poly meshes as the high poly. This should resolve low -> low baking issues.
- Object IDs should retain colors when meshes are reloaded.
- Estimate Offset works again.
- Removing quick loader file references is more stable now. For instance, removing one of many should no longer remove others.
- Light baking issue with light too close to object is now resolved.
- Some minor python fixes and additions.
- MacOS Baker GPU Priority has been adjusted to help prevent crashes when baking AO and other process heavy maps. Go to Edit > Preferences > Baker GPU Priority and set it to Moderate or Responsive if you experience crashes.
- Camera limits now work with multiple cameras in Viewer.
- Texture filtering settings now correctly export to Viewer.
Version 304 | April 25th, 2018
See the release notes here.
- Animation support
- Stand-alone Viewer application
- Fog (shadowed!)
- Refraction shader
- Shadow catcher object
- Multiple camera support
- High DPI support
- High-res thumbnail option
- Reduced mview file sizes
- Reduced memory use
- Revised UI with configurable map selection and preset loading/saving
- Many new maps:
- Cavity/Convexity (these replace the R/G curvature option)
- Bent normals
- Diffuse/specular/complete lighting maps
- Object, Group and UV masks
- Alpha (from high poly mesh)
- Albedo (metalness)
- Transparency (from high poly material)
- Texture set support
- AO dithering for better quality bakes
- AO per-group Ignore Groups exclusion setting for moving parts
- High poly normal map detail now bakes to normals output
- Master tangent space setting
- Skew/offset map resolution setting
- Cage opacity setting
- More image file formats (PNG, TGA, etc) are now available from save dialog
- Misc bug fixes
- Cascading shadow maps for directional lights
- Improved shadow coverage and reduced shadow artifacts
- Ludicrous shadow resolution setting
Image Quality Improvements
- Shadowed fog
- DOF now has smoother transitions
- DOF resolution discrepancies significantly improved, viewport now matches captured images
- Bloom is smoother with higher size values
- Animated meshes are now stored in .tbscene file
- Animation performance is significantly improved in some cases
- Viewport performance boost button (temporarily turns off expensive effects)
- glTF exporting
- Camera near plane setting (helps with large scenes)
- Updated Substance support
- 16 bit PNG support
- 32 bit HDR render support
- Extended Python support
- STL model loader
- Faster material texture loading
- Many more small improvements and bug fixes!
Version 303 | August 31st, 2017
- Mac OS Support!
- Python Scripting & Plugin support – API reference
- Improved refraction shader with two-sided refraction option
- Added “Uniform” sampling mode for AO bakes
- Updated substance support for newer file versions
- Improved normal map baking quality significantly for 3DS Max and Mikk tangent spaces
- Mesh reload now respects tangent spaces properly
- Various fixes to texture visibility UI in materials
- Fix for major baking artifacts / missing triangles with some meshes
- Modest bake speedup for AO, about 5%
- Decent improvement in baking preparation speed
- Better behavior with special characters in file paths in more cases
- Fixed texture naming issue in scene bundle exports
- Scene outliner now supports dragging objects to end-of-list
- Additive transparency fix for GI
- Materials without normal mapping now render with more accurate normals
- GI and local reflections now work better with perfectly flat geometry
- Improved color space for videos on Windows 10
- And many more smaller fixes
Version 302 | February 14th, 2017
- Material Animation!
- Refraction Shader!
- Smart texture loading, drag textures onto palette to create new material, or onto existing material to load
- Baker “Smooth Filter” option for geometry smoothing
- EXR file output for screenshots and animation
- Show/hide toggle buttons for high/low baker objects
- New lights are now auto-placed in camera direction
- Color-over-time display for RGB keyframes
- Many baker fixes:
- Baker auto reloads now retain all settings
- Cage vertex offset directions are now better
- Texture tiling support for material bakes
- Cage offset is now consistent with display
- Improved smart-load suffix & name matching
- Baker viewport preview now works with wireframes
- Improved tablet support, if you’re having issues with your tablet try the Tablet-Friendly Input setting in Edit-> Preferences
- Various stability fixes
- Animation Property view display has been tweaked
- Animation fixes for object transforms
- Scenes with > 32 lights now display (more) correctly
- Improved Local Reflections to omit background image correctly
- Viewer preview option now more reliable
- Better support for writing more compatible layered PSD files
- Support for ArtStation pro file size limits
- Better scaled UI appearance
- Drag & drop now works with scaled UI
- Better functioning progress bar for long jobs
Version 301 | December 8th, 2016
- Vertex color baking!
- Voxel Resolution settings for adjusting GI quality/speed
- Faster Global Illumination!
- Stability & speed improvements for baking large meshes!
- Faster mesh prep for baking
- Baker now uses less VRAM in some cases
- Fixed padding width for baker to be faster & more consistent
- Cavity maps now render correctly again
- Mesh rotation fixed for certain cases in FBX loader
- Video export now works with special characters in file paths
- Special characters are now better supported in mview export
- Vertex color shader now uses sRGB color by default
Version 300 | November 25th, 2016
- Animation support and keyframe editor
- Global illumination
- New skin shader
- Refreshed UI
- ArtStation export
- Unity Package export
- Unreal Engine import plugin
- Mesh export
- Scene bundle
- Custom shaders
- Command window and scripting
- Shadow caster object
- Camera backdrop object
- Turntable object
- Tiling texture options
- Improved local reflections
- Safe frame
- Scale reference
- Video export
- Viewer preview
- 100x and 400x sampling
- Resource locator (for lost textures and meshes)
- Material groups
- Material thumbnail size slider
- Example scenes (Help -> Example Scenes)
- New skies
- Performance improvements
- Many other tweaks and bug fixes
Version 208 | August 5th, 2015
- Automatic mesh reloading
- Volumetric fog
- Camera constraint settings for Viewer export
- Lights and cameras now import from FBX files
- Selectable UV set for emissive shader
Viewer Feature Additions:
- Camera Constraints
- AO map support
- Lossless normal map option
- Texture wrapping and filtering options now export
- Additive blending background tint now supported
- Tooltip corrections
- FBX transform and pivot fixes
- Improved compatibility for loading of TIFF files
- Fix for duplicated camera/object conflict
- Film grain behaves better with 2x viewport resolution
- sRGB option now works for 16bpc images
- “Use Filtering” texture option now overrides anisotropic filtering
- Windows retain their positions during app minimization
- Fix for improper object naming when duplicated while renaming
Version 207 | May 29th, 2015
- Export to Marmoset Viewer!
- Material ID import! Apply multiple materials to a single mesh
- Unity tangent space support
- Filmic/Hejl tone mapping
- Contextual help in the form of tool tips
- Template scene feature for custom creation of new scenes
- Template material feature for custom creation of new materials
- Object locking via the outliner
- New “Material” menu with added options for organizing materials
- UI and compatibility improvements for Allegorithmic Substance files
- PLY mesh import
- Explicit texture input option for transparency/alpha maps
- Advanced metalness shader
- Greatly improved TIFF support for 16bpc, HDR, and more
- Texture toggle for quick hiding of texture inputs
- Channel selector for specular map & others
- Outliner selection can now be moved and expanded with arrow keys
- “Home” button in sky browser
- Outliner now expands to show viewport selections
- Sky browser now display directories as clickable icons
- App window dimensions now saved between sessions
- Button hover effect
- Customizable default path for sky browser
- Better performance on some laptops with multiple GPUs
- Added a mask control to Newton’s rings shader
- Faster texture loading
- Indexed color TGAs are now supported
- Returning from full screen now behaves better with window position & size
- FBX sub-objects are now positioned correctly in more cases
- Transform decay under parent rotation/scale now fixed
- Additional non-English characters can now be properly typed into text fields
- Materials now properly sorted by name at all times
- Fixed texture inspector crashes in obscure cases
- Corrupt or invalid TGA files no longer crash the loader
- Frame selection now performs properly on more objects
- Area lights no longer cause division by zero in some cases
- Light objects are now more clearly visible in otherwise empty scenes
- UI elements like cameras and lights no longer interact with DOF focus selection
- Improved wireframe display for some tessellated meshes
- Mesh highlight no longer flickers constantly during undo
- Long object names now clip properly in the outline view
- D3D-style alt+enter override should now be properly disabled; use ctrl+enter instead.
Version 206 Hotfix | October 30th, 2014
- Made skin shader compatible with 2.05 (and earlier) subdermis maps again
- Added “Skin Mask” to Subdermis Map alpha. Mask fades between “Lambert” and “Skin” diffusion models, should be a black or white value.
- “Skin Mask” affects shadow blur and normal smoothing properly
- Proper bounds now set for area light shadows
Version 206 | October 27th, 2014
- Area Lights
- Color Curves
- Lens Distortion & Chromatic Aberration
- Lens Flares
- Scale Tool!
- Glass Preset Material
- Random sky now chosen for new scenes
- Improved GGX quality & accuracy
- Large scene files (> 2 GB) are now supported
- Light & camera guides now only display for selected objects
- Improved behavior for framing selections with different FOV settings
- Shadows now cast properly from meshes without back face culling
- SSAO now takes aspect ratio into account properly
- Substance file paths now support spaces
- UI guide line width now behaves at all FOV settings
- Fixed redundant loading of data for faster boot
- Subdermis map/scatter value now mask normal smoothing and shadow blur in the skin shader
Version 205 | July 16th, 2014
- GGX reflection module!
- World/Local setting for transform widget
- Recent files menu
- Scene scale and unit settings
- Extinction coefficient for increased IOR science
- Cavity/Curvature map support for Substance materials
- 3D monitor stereo mode
- Greatly improved rendering for Mikk / xNormal tangent space! Finally!
- Mikk / xNormal tangent space generation is no longer painfully slow
- Improved rendering for tangent spaces loaded from FBX files
- Better checks for degenerate triangles & tangent space on import
- Major reduction in memory use for Undo states and general use, particularly with large meshes
- Local reflections now work properly with dynamic lights & sky brightness
- Parallax mapping now works properly with 3DS Max tangent space
- “Prompt for Unsaved Changes” now optional, and prompts more accurately
- Improved move behavior with transform widget
- Fixed transform widget distortion on certain meshes (requires mesh re-import)
- Improved TGA loading support, notably compressed grayscale
- Improved HDR loading support, notably older .hdr file revisions
- Fixed diffuse lighting when no reflection module present
- Changed mousewheel back to dolly forward/back instead of zoom in/out
- Object property drawers now remember open/close state
- Better Microsoft Windows version/app info
Version 204 | May 5th, 2014
- Sky browser with thumbnail previews
- New modes for sky backdrop rendering
- Camera are now fully transformable & selectable objects
- “WASD” camera controls
- Improved camera speed control
- Mesh selection highlight
- Improved local reflection quality; reduces smearing and other artifacts
- Vertex color support for albedo and ambient occlusion
- Zbrush Polypaint support through OBJ files
- Greatly improved PSD and HDR loading speed
- Shader build caching for faster application boot, scene load, and general editing
- Improved efficiency & responsiveness with custom cube maps
- Copy & paste for text entry
- Tab & shift+tab to cycle through text boxes
- Improved UI graphics for lights
- Interface appearance tweaks
- Retina display support for Mac
- Mesh & textures no longer disappear after open dialogs on Mac
- Scene rotation turntable export now has correct sky orientation
- Wacom tablet input now works properly
- Local reflections no longer cause transparency artifacts in exported screenshots
- Fixed minor light bleed effect in Blinn-Phong shading
- More robust metalness support for substance archives
- Now possible to replace substance outputs with custom textures
- Tangent space selection for meshes is no longer lost on scene load
- Spaces are now supported in the screenshot output folder path
- Trackpad input responsiveness improved on many machines, notably Mac
- Arrow keys now work on Mac
- Skybox preview image in light editor is no longer backwards
- Light icons now display properly when temporal anti-aliasing is enabled
- Meshes without vertices no longer crash during FBX load
Version 203 | February 20th, 2014
- Dota 2 Shaders!
- Gloss Map “Horizon Smoothing” setting
- Index of Refraction (IOR) reflectivity mode, w/ global “Ambient Refractive Index” render setting
- Drag and Drop image import for skybox content
- Texture preview channel selector
- “Authorize for all Users” option for licensing login in Windows
- Substance support does a better job of assigning outputs
- Substance support now includes size and seed parameters
- Resolved many visual glitches with tessellation
- Improved wireframe consistency, memory use, and appearance
- 3DS and DAE model files now import correctly
- Improved fullscreen support for Mac
- Skybox import crash for certain DDS files
- Sky rotation no longer “jumps” when turntables are enabled
- Sky child light brightness now behaves correctly in all cases
- Friendlier menu/submenu selection behavior
- Object group creation no longer hangs in certain situations
- Mesh rotation UI no longer reads zeros at inappropriate times
- Title bar filename display now remains when saving a new scene
- OBJ import fixes, resolving some crashes and missing geometry
- Very long and very short object names are handled better in the outline now
- Tangent space setting for meshes now has a ‘none selected’ behavior for model files that contained a custom tangent space
Version 202 | December 19th, 2013
- Object duplication (Ctrl+D)
- Viewport icons are now smaller and hideable (Ctrl+U)
- Shadow caster toggle for meshes
- Mesh info display
- Tangent-space option for vector displacement maps
- Improved material preview sphere
- Faster compressed TGA loading (about 4x)
- Additional post effect presets
- Window title now shows active file name
- Tutorials & links now under “Help” menu
- Credits window
- Vector displacement no longer distorts under rotation
- Resolved “black box” artifacts on some imported meshes
- OBJ loader fix for high precision values
- sRGB color space now used properly for LDR sky images
- No more crashing when parenting an object under itself
- Contact refinement no longer runs unless shadows are enabled
- New scenes now properly reset sky settings
- Improved licensing behavior with proxies in Windows
- Mac .tbscene file association now works better
- Space bar now works on Mac 😛
- Watermark tweaks
Version 201 | December 10th, 2013
- Two-sided rendering – disable ‘Cull Back Faces’ per mesh
- Driver reset / crash no longer occurs on older Nvidia cards
- Z-fighting glitches reduced
- Texture options window crash fixed
- Sky light editor crash fixed
- Licensing glitches
- Mac installer errors
Version 200 | December 5th, 2013
- Toolbag 2 Initial release